Note: This Chicken Tortilla Soup first appeared on March 7, 2011 and was the very first recipe on my blog! It has been updated with bright new photos, but it is still the same delicious EASY recipe!
YES you read that correctly, this was the first recipe I ever made for the blog almost 9 years ago! This chicken tortilla soup is a recipe my whole family has made for years and is one I love making when having friends over because it is such a crowdpleaser! The flavors are incredible, it really is so easy to throw together and the best part is it’s a light and heathy dish so you don’t have to feel guilty about indulging because this recipe makes a TON!
You can actually make this on your stove top or in an Instant Pot (THIS ONE is my favorite!) if you’re running short on time OR feel free to let this simmer all day in your slow cooker! When making this on the stove top, I love to use rotisserie chicken because it just keeps things really simple, especially during those busy weeknights when you’re trying to cook something in a pinch. Plus I LOVE the flavor of rotisserie chicken, especially in soups! If you’re making this in your slow cooker, you can simply throw in your chicken breasts along with the rest of the ingredients, let them cook all day, then just shred the chicken before serving. Either way you choose to make this recipe, it’s guaranteed a winner!
This soup really is the perfect comfort food and even though we’re getting into the heart of summer, this recipe is truly perfect year round! I like to top my soup with fresh cilantro, sliced avocado and some crunchy tortilla strips while my hubby prefers a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheese. Remember you can also adapt this recipe to your liking such as throwing in some chopped jalapeño to add more spice! Have a bunch left over? No worries, this soup freezes perfectly! It will last up to 2 months in your freezer and 4 days in the fridge.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup for the perfect weeknight meal that can easily be made in your instant pot, slow cooker or even right on the stove!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (if using Instant Pot or stove top)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce (I used hot to give it a kick)
- 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts (if using Instant Pot or slow cooker) or 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (if using stove top)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Toppings (optional): Cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese
- To make in your instant pot: Drizzle olive oil in the bowl of your instant pot and turn on the sauté function. Once oil is simmering, sauté the onion for 3 to 4 minutes then add garlic, sautéing an additional minute. Then add the rest of the ingredients (except lime juice) and set the Instant Pot to the soup setting and set timer for 7 minutes. Once cooking is complete, let the instant pot sit for about 12 minutes then release the steam by placing the valve to the venting position. Remove chicken and shred using two forks, then return chicken to the pot and stir in lime juice.
- To make in your slow cooker: In a 6-quart slow cooker, add chicken and the rest of the ingredients (except lime juice), cover and place on high for 3 to 4 hours or low 6 to 8 hours. Remove chicken and shred with two forks then add back into the slow cooker along with the lime juice.
- To make on your stove top: In a large dutch oven or pot on medium high heat, drizzle oil and sauté onion for 3 to 4 minutes then add garlic, sautéing an additional minute. Add the rest of the ingredients (except for lime juice) and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 30. Add lime juice and any additional toppings you prefer. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 5.6 g
- Sodium: 1388.8 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.7 g
- Fiber: 5.3 g
- Protein: 32.4 g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.