This Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup makes the perfect low carb comfort dish that is delicious, packed with veggies and made all in one pot in under 30 minutes!
Sometimes all you need in life is a good soup and you guys, this classic broccoli cheddar soup is truly the only recipe you’ll ever need! This soup is thick and creamy, deliciously cheesy, and just so happens to be a great low carb meal to boot! I think with all that’s going on right now we could all use something nice and comforting so I hope this soup can bring that to your family.
If you’ve ever had Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup then you know why I had to make this. That soup is basically CRACK so I wanted to try and re-create that delicious recipe using a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand at home! It really is the perfect meal for your family that is filling, full of veggies and takes less than 30 minutes to make!
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED:
- Chicken or vegetable broth – Either one will work or any stocks that you have in your pantry.
- Broccoli – DUH. I like to use fresh chopped broccoli florets, but you could also use frozen if that’s what you have on hand.
- Carrot – Adding grated carrot not only adds even more veggies to this dish, but it blends in so well with the soup your kids will just think it’s just cheese!
- CHEESE – I like to use two heaping cups of cheddar cheese along with a bit of cream cheese to add to the overall creaminess and flavor.
- Heavy cream – this gives the soup its creaminess, but you can also use milk if you want a lighter soup or even half and half if that’s all you have.
- Seasonings – I use a combination of salt, pepper, dry mustard and a pinch of nutmeg. I like to be liberal with my pepper, but feel free to add as little or as much as you want!
- Onion, garlic & butter – yes I 100% prefer sautéing the onion and garlic in butter for this soup because FLAVOR, but you could of course use oil in place of the butter.
Now I don’t use any flour in this recipe as I wanted to keep this dish low carb and a bit healthier, but feel free to add some in if you want your soup thicker. To do this you’ll need to whisk about two tablespoons of flour in with the butter. If you don’t want to go the flour route, you can also add some cornstarch in to thicken this or simply add more cheese!
This broccoli cheddar soup also makes great leftovers and re-heats so well! I brought some over to my dad (before this whole crazy quarantine started), and he absolutely LOVED it.
IS THIS SOUP KETO?
Yes, this dish was created to be a keto-friendly recipe so it is high in fat, but low in carbs and sugar. If you wanted to make this lower in fat, simply use half and half or milk in place of the heavy cream, omit the cream cheese and use oil instead of butter. I really try to offer recipes for ALL diets and since my husband has done so well on keto (lost 53 pounds!!), I’ve been experimenting with a ton of different recipes and this might just be his favorite! Next to this cheesy keto meatball casserole, of course.
MORE SOUPS YOU’LL LOVE:
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – The perfect weeknight meal that can easily be made in your instant pot, slow cooker or even right on the stove!
- Detox Immune-Boosting Chicken Soup – The perfect remedy for cold and flu season filled with antioxidants that boost immunity and tastes delicious.
- Creamy Tomato Hummus Detox Soup – Packed with flavor as well as tons of immune-boosting ingredients like garlic, ginger, chickpeas, turmeric, carrots and leafy greens to help you stay healthy all season long!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita & Quinoa Soup – All your favorite flavors in one soup and I love that the chicken literally marinates in everything all day.
- One Pot Spicy Sausage & Kale Soup – This soup is hearty, delicious and literally takes just 5 minutes to throw together in a pot or slow cooker!
Hope you all enjoy this Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup as much as we did and if you do decide to make this or any other Eat Yourself Skinny recipe, please make sure to tag me on Instagram so I can see all the yummy things you’re eating!
- 2 Tbsp grass-fed butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese
- 2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter and add onion, sautéing until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Pour in chicken broth, heavy cream, broccoli, carrot, dry mustard, nutmeg and salt/pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Mix in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until melted, serve and enjoy!