These Brussels Sprouts with Lemon and Brown Rice make the perfect salad or side dish that tastes delicious and is super easy to make!
I love Thanksgiving!
I seriously do. I love all the hours spent cooking, the friends and family all getting together, the apple cider cocktails, the small break from work (duhh), all the Black Friday sales and, of course, the mashed potatoes, gravy and yummy pecan pies. Yes I’ll admit it, I totally indulge on this delicious holiday. That being said, with ALL the decadent, and let’s face it, super unhealthy dishes that are always in high abundance on our tables this turkey day, I like to keep a balance with some wholesome dishes as well. Not only is this recipe great for sharing on Thanksgiving, I mean who doesn’t love vibrant green brussels sprouts, sweet cranberries and crunchy pecans, buuuut it also made a pretty damn good lunch yesterday if I do say so myself! Just check out my Instagram if you don’t believe me.
Are you salivating yet??
To add more flavor I boiled the brown rice in chicken stock before tossing in with the brussels sprouts then just drizzled a mixture of lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, garlic and cracked pepper over top. Mmmm was it delicious! I also tossed in a little Parmesan cheese, dried cranberries and pecans for an added crunch. This recipe has the simplest of ingredients, takes little to no time to prepare, and is totally worth making! Don’t have brown rice on hand? Feel free to use quinoa or even lentils in this dish….I promise you can’t go wrong.
I’m so excited that Thanksgiving is only a few days away and can’t wait to make some of my signature dishes such as this delicious sausage, sage and apple stuffing (I literally make every year), this yummy cranberry sauce, these mashed sweet potatoes with sauteed apples and my favorite little mini pecan pies that always make fun little party treats.
What are you putting on your table this holiday??
Brussels Sprouts with Lemon and Brown Rice
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups brussels sprouts leaves
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, about 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Lots of cracked pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Pecans and cranberries (just a sprinkle)
- In a medium saucepan on medium to high heat, bring chicken stock and brown rice to a boil. Cover and allow rice to simmer for about 10 to 12 minutes until rice is cooked and chicken stock is absorbed.
- Meanwhile separate leaves from brussels sprouts and place in a large bowl. Whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and toss with leaves.
- Mix together cooked rice with brussels sprout leaves and add parsley and Parmesan cheese, mixing well.
- Add a little more cracked pepper to taste (if needed), top with some pecans and dried cranberries, serve and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 cup • Calories: 264 • Fat: 5.3 g • Saturated Fat: 1.2 g • Carbs: 47.1 g • Fiber: 2.7 g • Protein: 9.8 g • Sugars: 0.4 g • WW Freestyle Points: 7