This Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Kale Salad has all of my favorite ingredients in ONE single dish! Perfect for lunches or an easy weeknight dinner!
Note: This Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Kale Salad first appeared on the blog on February 5, 2014 and is such a FAVORITE that I wanted to update it with bright new photos!
Yes this recipe is a tried and true FAVORITE so I just had to update the photos and remind you all how delicious this salad is! It has been one of my go-to salads for years and the dressing is incredible! I love incorporating sweet potatoes into my diet so throwing them into a salad was a no-brainer and ever since I made these sweet and spicy sweet potato fries, I’ve been obsessed with this particular seasoning! It’s a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle chili powder and oregano with a pinch of brown sugar. I’m telling you, it’s AMAZING. Just trust me on this.
Roasting might be the easiest way to cook anything and these sweet potatoes roasted beautifully. All you do is chop up two medium sweet potatoes into cubes (the smaller you make them the crispier they’ll be!) and toss them together with all the seasonings I just mentioned. Now I’m pretty heavy handed and love my spice, but you can add as much or as little as you want. Roast these for about 30 minutes and prepare to be amazed. This may seriously change the way you eat sweet potatoes, I’m just that confident!
I tossed everything with a simple red wine vinaigrette which coated the kale and the quinoa perfectly, but the real flavor came from the spices from the sweet potatoes! It was a beautiful marriage made in heaven…er I mean my kitchen… and has the perfect balance of greens, protein and starches. If you’re not into kale any type of lettuce would work too. Please make this to your liking!
Pro tip: Any time I make quinoa, I like to boil it in chicken (or veggie) broth rather than just water as this adds SO much extra flavor. It’s such a simple thing you can do that will really make a difference in the taste!
Oh and this is not a small side salad either. This is a delicious fill-you-up kind of salad and I definitely recommend even adding shredded chicken or shrimp to it as well for a complete meal! My hubby isn’t big on salads for dinner, however I was able to win him over with this one. I know there seem like a lot of components going on for just a salad, but I promise you it’s worth it! The sweet potatoes and quinoa make this really filling and at the end of the day you just feel GOOD about what you’re eating. I really hope you all enjoy this salad as much as we do!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. chipotle chili powder
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- ½ cup chicken broth (or you could use veggie broth or even just water)
- 3 cups kale or mixed greens
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced shallots
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rinse and peel sweet potatoes, chopping them into ¼ inch cubes. Toss with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and chipotle chili powder until completely coated. Spread sweet potatoes out on prepared baking sheet in a single layer and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes, flipping them once.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, using a mesh strainer, thoroughly rinse the quinoa. Add a ½ cup of chicken (or veggie) broth to a small saucepan and add rinsed quinoa. Bring quinoa to a boil, cover and reduce heat and simmer for about 13 minutes. Remove from heat, keeping quinoa covered, and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes then fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Combine kale, quinoa and cranberries in a large bowl and toss with dressing. Fold in roasted sweet potatoes, serve and enjoy!