This is the easiest, most delicious way to eat sweet potatoes!
Breakfast might literally be my favorite meal of the day and since I’ve committed to doing Whole 30 this month, finding different ways to cook my favorite foods has been really fun! It doesn’t get much easier than making a sweet potato hash. Simply peel your sweet potatoes, shred them up using a grater (making sure to pat them dry to soak up any excess water) then sauté them in a skillet with some coconut oil (or grass fed butter) along with half an onion. Boom! Easy sweet potato hash!
I seasoned the hash with salt, pepper, a little cinnamon and some chili powder just because it’s my absolute favorite way to season sweet potatoes. I’m planning on sharing my go-to sweet potato seasoning with you all soon, but in the meantime I think you’ll love these simple hash browns!
I paired this with a fried egg and avocado, but you could easily throw this hash in a casserole or even make patties out of them 🙂 This is just a basic go-to recipe when you want something yummy when you don’t have a lot of time to spend cooking in the mornings. Unlike most bloggers, I still have a full-time job outside of blogging so quick breakfasts are totally my JAM because I’m constantly in a rush to get out the door (I’m also NOT a morning person ha). This recipe is definitely a favorite and I hope you enjoy these hash browns as much as I did!
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp grass fed butter (or coconut oil)
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Peel and shred sweet potatoes with a grater then squeeze the water out as much as possible using a clean hand towel or some paper towels. Pat them dry.
- Heat butter or oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until melted then add onions. Sauté chopped onions for 1 to 2 minutes then add shredded sweet potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, cinnamon and chili powder then let potatoes sit in the skillet for 5 to 8 minutes until slightly browned (mixing them stops the browning process so let them sit in the skillet).
- Flip the sweet potatoes over using a spatula and cook the other side for another 5 minutes or so, seasoning as necessary.
- Once both sides are cooked, serve and enjoy!