BEST. BREAD. EVER!!!
I know what you’re thinking…..but it’s over 100 degrees outside!! Yes. I’m fully aware. However, my mom recently got me some adorable new loaf pans and my boyfriend’s mom got me a brand new kitchen-aid mixer for my birthday (thank you Momma Gellner!) so what’s a girl to do??
As most of you all know, I’m not much of a baker (and I’m absolutely nowhere NEAR being a decorator) but that is something I’m really trying to do more of and want to get better at. This was such a surprisingly quick and easy bread to make and made our entire house smell incredible! Blueberries are so abundant right now and I already had so much on hand that this recipe was a no-brainer. Oh and I must say, I LOVE the way blueberries show up in photos! Aren’t they just so pretty??
The lemon zest in this wonderful bread really gives it that zing that I was hoping to achieve. I’ll be honest, I didn’t lighten this up as much as I had wanted (sorry). I did use Splenda instead of sugar which cut a lot of the calories (you really can’t tell the difference) but I wanted this to be moist, sweet and delicious! This bread is perfect to have as a morning slice with your coffee or even as a little after dinner dessert. A little indulgence is never a bad thing and it will only give you more motivation to work out! Speaking of blueberries and delicious bread, if you haven’t already, check out this fabulous guest post from Rachel where she shares her Reduced Fat Blueberry-Strawberry Muffins! They look so delicious! Anyway, hope you enjoy this as much as we did!
Blueberry Lemon Bread
Recipe adapted from Joy of Baking
Yield: 12 servings 1x
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 Tbsp Stevia (or 3/4 cup white sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Lemon Glaze:
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray with a non-stick vegetable spray (or butter if you prefer) the bottom and sides of a loaf pan (9 x 5 x 3 inch). In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until softened (about 1 minute). Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon zest. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture (in three additions) and milk (in two additions) alternately, starting and ending with the flour. Mix only until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 55 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk the 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar and the 2 tablespoons of lemon juice together until all blended together. Allow loaf to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from pan and drizzle glaze over top. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 slice • Calories: 159 • Fat: 7 g • Carbs: 21 g • Fiber: 0.9 g • Protein: 3.2 g • WW Points+: 4 pts
UPDATE: So I’m so excited to announce that thanks to Spicie Foodie’s “Your Best Recipe” my blueberry lemon bread was selected to be featured in Honest Cooking! Check it out!!