Celebrate Valentine’s Day with a fun and festive dessert board made with healthier options like yogurt-dipped pretzels, chocolate covered almonds, fresh fruit and a honey yogurt dipping sauce!
If you’ve been to my blog before then you know I LOVE a good charcuterie board. Well with Valentine’s Day just a few days away, I wanted to share a fun and festive dessert board filled with healthier options that you, your girlfriends and even your kids can enjoy! Anyone that knows me knows I love all things pink and girly so I was super excited to create the perfect Valentine’s Day board!
And trust me when I say that these dessert boards look way more complicated to put together than they actually are and really only take a few minutes to throw together. I mean there’s no cooking involved so that already saves a lot of time, and there’s no “right” way of creating this so you really can’t go wrong. Sometimes dessert boards look gorgeous with a whole mix of stuff on them. Have fun with this!
CREATING THE PERFECT DESSERT BOARD
I was inspired to make this after walking into my local Safeway and seeing all the festive Valentine’s Day products! Everything from chocolate covered strawberries and yogurt-dipped pretzels to colorful cake pops and heart-shaped cakes. They also had a whole Valentine’s Day section full of fun decor, candy, sprinkles, I mean you name it, they had it! Of course I wanted this board to be on the healthier side, so I loaded up my cart with fresh fruit, an assortment of pretzels, dark chocolate covered almonds and some Greek yogurt so that I could make my own dipping sauce for the fruit. I also purchased some fun cake pops from Safeway’s bakery section because they looked TOO good to pass up! It’s all about balance, right?
Safeway also has a large flower section where I was able to get the most gorgeous debi lilly design™ red and pink roses to make my dessert board even prettier! I loved all the options they had and debi lilly design also offers great Valentine’s Day gifts like bear hug bundles, rose globes, an assortment of candles and beautiful floral arrangements. Such a wide variety of high-quality flowers and decor at super affordable prices, I mean they literally have everything you need to create the perfect Valentine’s Day! All of their products are trendy, super cute and perfect for any time of the year. I also snagged a few boxes of long white candles for future holidays!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Large platter or wooden board
- Small bowls (for dips, little candies and/or nuts)
- Fresh fruit (I used an assortment of strawberries, raspberries and banana slices)
- Dark chocolate covered almonds (or other nuts)
- Greek yogurt (we’ll use this to make our fruit dip as well as dip the pretzels in)
- Assortment of candies (optional)
- Cake pops (I found these in Safeway’s bakery section!)
- Fresh flowers
As you can see, I did add a few little indulgent sweets to the board because all the red and pink Valentine’s Day candy was just TOO cute to pass up! Moderation is key and I mean, hey, we can just say that the fresh fruit balances out the candy 😉 You could also make this a more savory board by adding an assortment of cheeses, crackers and meats, but it’s Valentine’s Day so everyone deserves a little something sweet!
HOW TO MAKE YOGURT-DIPPED PRETZELS
One way to make a fun dessert much healthier is by using yogurt as a coating rather than chocolate! This really couldn’t be easier and there are just a few simple steps to achieving perfectly coated yogurt-dipped pretzels.
- All you need to get started is yogurt and pretzels, but you could also add food coloring to the yogurt if you wanted a fun color and you can also decorate them with sprinkles. Dip each pretzel into the yogurt and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Once all the pretzels have been dipped, place the baking sheet in the freezer and freeze for one hour.
- Remove the pretzels from the freezer and dip each of them one more time in the yogurt. This is important because yogurt tends to crack when it hardens so dipping them a second time helps to make them look fully coated and pretty. If adding sprinkles, add them on right after dipping in the yogurt a second time, before the yogurt has time to harden. Then re-freeze the dipped pretzels again for one more hour, and that’s it!
I used this method for both the pretzel rods and the mini pretzels featured on the dessert board. They tasted SO dang good, I promise you won’t even miss the chocolate! Feel free to also check out my post on how I made yogurt-dipped strawberries!
HOW TO MAKE 3-INGREDIENT FRUIT DIP
Here’s another simple little recipe you can add to your dessert board that makes a really great healthier alternative! All you need is 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt (or you could use a flavored yogurt, up to you!), 1/4 cup of honey and about a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Whisk everything together in a bowl until smooth and it’s ready for dipping! This has always been a hit with our family and I know your kids will really love this. I even sprinkled some pink and red sprinkles on top of the yogurt to make the board even more festive! This dip will last up to 3 or 4 days in the fridge.
MORE VALENTINE’S DAY IDEAS
- Valentine’s Day Mimosa Bar
- Yogurt Dipped Ombre Strawberries
- Grain Free Mini Raspberry Chocolate Cakes
- Sheet Pan Strawberry Pancakes
Hope you all enjoy this healthy(ish) Valentine’s Day Dessert Board if you love this recipe as much as we do, please leave me a five-star rating below and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using the hashtag #eatyourselfskinny! I love seeing all your delicious recreations!
LEAVE A COMMENT0 Comments