Mmm one of my favorite go-to foods on cold, dreary days are soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Nothing screams “comfort” more than this delicious duo and I can almost guarantee it’ll perk you right up from however you were feeling before.
As most of you know, I wasn’t having the greatest of weeks last week and so I did what any normal person would do when they realize their identity has been stolen and someone was trying to go on shopping sprees with their hard-earned money…I took the day off from work. Ok so truth is my car was broken down and I literally had no means of transportation, BUT it was still the perfect day to sleep in, catch up on my guilty pleasures (aka Real Housewives) and attempt to cheer myself up.
Thankfully I didn’t turn to a gallon of vanilla ice cream to drown my sorrows in, I decided to try this tomato-basil soup recipe that had been sitting on my kitchen counter for weeks now. It truly was the greatest pick-me-up and took me only 20 minutes to throw together. Now THAT’S my kind of lunch!
Cheers to rainy days and good food!
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) 1/3-less fat cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and saute the chopped onion for 3 minutes, until translucent. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add tomatoes and basil, bringing to a boil. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Place mixture in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Return to saucepan and stir in milk, salt and pepper. Return to medium-high heat and cook for 2 minutes. Serve with toasted bread or a sandwich, enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup • Calories: 173 • Fat: 9.3 g • Carbs: 15.9 g • Fiber: 1.7 g • Protein: 6.1 g • WW Points+: 5 pts