Mmmm there is literally nothing better than a quick and easy grab-and-go breakfast when you’re rushing out the door in the mornings (which seems to be every morning with me *eye roll*) and I am currently in LOVE with making these healthy veggie egg muffins! So much flavor yet so few ingredients.
These also couldn’t be any easier to make. Simply saute up some shredded zucchini, garlic, onion and bell pepper and whisk together your eggs with a handful of arugula and a little salt/pepper – now you have yourself some delicious breakfast muffins that will last you a few days! These muffins are high in protein, low in carb and taste amazing with a dollop of salsa! Meal prep is absolutely essential in our household during the week so when I come up with a recipe that we’re both able to enjoy, it’s quite the accomplishment! My hubby and I both have very different tastes, but this recipe is one we BOTH definitely agree on.
I also love how versatile these muffins are! I mean you can really just use whatever ingredients you already have on hand in your fridge such as spinach or kale in place of the arugula or feel free to throw in some mushrooms, broccoli or even shredded carrots. I made this recipe completely meatless, but sometimes I’ll even add ground turkey, sausage or a little bacon for some added protein and flavor!
Gotta make the hubs happy, right?
For meal prep purposes, these egg muffins can be easily stored in a sealed airtight container for up to four days in your fridge OR you can wrap them up individually and store in the freezer. To thaw, simply remove them from the freezer the night before and pop them in the microwave in the morning. So easy right??
I hope everyone has an amazing Memorial Day Weekend! We’re headed down to Smith Mountain Lake (something we do every year) and I am praaaaaaying for gorgeous weather. Seriously. If you live on the East Coast near Northern Virginia then you are most certainly aware that Noah could have literally built his ark and set it afloat by now – it has been raining for what seems like two months straight! So. Completely. Over it. Not only is it incredibly depressing, but the rain has been ruining practically every exciting event we’ve had planned for months!
Wedding planners/photographers – I feel for you right now.
So here’s hoping for blue skies and lots of gorgeous sunshine this weekend! Cheers everyone!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ zucchini, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups arugula, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a muffin tin with spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, drizzle olive oil and saute onion and garlic for about 4 minutes until tender and fragrant. Add in zucchini and red bell pepper, cooking an additional 2 minutes. Fill each muffin tin about ? full with veggie mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, arugula, cheese and salt/pepper and fill each muffin tin evenly, being careful not to over-fill.
- Bake muffins for about 20 minutes, until they've risen and are slightly browned. Enjoy!