Warm and delicious Blueberry Lemon Bread Pudding that is lighter in calories, easy to make and perfect for breakfast or even dessert!
Growing up my Grandma was KNOWN for her out-of-this-world bread pudding. Seriously…no exaggeration here. In fact to this day, she still makes it on special occasions for my Dad because its his absolute favorite and always highly requested, so in honor of his birthday this week I thought I’d make him some of my own!
Lightened-up, of course.
Blueberry and lemon are two of my favorite flavor combinations so it was a no-brainer to incorporate them into a bread pudding. This recipe is lightly sweetened, which is how I always prefer my desserts, with honey and a little brown sugar. I also added a touch of vanilla and of course some lemon zest! I mean who doesn’t love dessert for breakfast?? I know I sure do….especially when a single serving is only 240 calories and 4 grams of fat for an entire heaping bowl!
Now that’s a win-win.
The best kind of bread for this is thick whole wheat crusty bread or even day old bread. Once I mixed everything together, I let my bread mixture sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour to soak all the delicious flavors up, but if you are running low on time a good 10 minutes would work just fine. Now this bread pudding (in my opinion) tastes great right out of the oven without any additional toppings , but if you need a little something try adding a dusting of confectioner’s sugar on top or even a lemon glaze. I didn’t add this to the recipe because I didn’t want to add any more sugar to something you might make for breakfast, but here is a simple, yet delicious glaze that would be amazing drizzled on top!
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp confectioner’s sugar + 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice = whisk together until a nice glaze forms
Of course you’ll have to add about 45 more calories to each serving, but if you’re making this for dessert then I say go for it! Why not? Not only would this taste absolutely delicious, but it would keep your bread pudding nice and moist too!
Happy Birthday Dad!
- 5 cups crusty whole wheat bread, cut into 2-inch squares
- 1½ cups almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 pint blueberries
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond milk, applesauce, eggs, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and lemon zest.
- Fold in blueberries and cubed bread, coating well.
- Transfer mixture to an 8x8 baking dish, cover and refrigerate about an hour so the bread soaks everything up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and bake bread pudding for 45 to 50 minutes, until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- You can either serve warm or keep in the fridge and enjoy cold - tastes great both ways!