Ok I’m seriously in love with southern Fall recipes and all the flavors that come with them. And butternut squash is certainly no exception.
I had an entire half leftover after making the oh so coveted butternut squash macaroni and cheese last week and after seeing this recipe in my Southern Living Magazine, I knew exactly what I would use it for. Butternut squash already has such a sweet and rich taste to it so when mixed with other flavors, this winter fruit really is enhanced and makes for a showstopping side dish!
I mean c’mon, how can you go wrong with apple cider, a touch of sugar, honey, fresh sage and thyme thrown together with toasted pecans? One might even call this dessert if they didn’t know any better. I chose to leave out the butter completely because honestly this dish just didn’t need any, I only used half the sugar and added a bit of honey for extra sweetness. The apple cider already sweetens this enough, but feel free to use any amount of sugar you’d like!
Sometimes you just need that sugar fix. I certainly won’t judge.
If you’re not a fan of butternut squash, you could always substitute this with sweet potatoes. Simply peel and chop up approximately 3 of them and use apple juice instead of apple cider…easy peasy! Although I’m pretty certain apple cider tastes incredible with anything.
Glazed Butternut Squash with Sage & Toasted Pecans
Recipe adapted from Southern Living
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp. sugar in the raw
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- In a large 12-inch nonstick skillet, toss together butternut squash, apple cider, water, honey, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to just a boil, then cover and reduce heat allowing everything to simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook an additional 5 minutes until liquid has thickened and the squash is tender.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and add chopped pecans, sage and thyme. Mix together and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 cup • Calories: 166 • Fat: 4.8 g • Carbs: 32.7 g • Fiber: 0.7 g • Protein: 2.5 g • WW Points+: 5 pts