You guys this might be the EASIEST recipe I’ve ever made. Seriously.
After a full week of meal prepping, I had a ton of leftover veggies that I wanted to use up so I thought why not roast them in a casserole dish and throw some eggs on top! This dish is literally as simple as that. And it tastes so effortlessly delicious!! The perfect hearty breakfast to jump start your day that you can feel good about eating. It’s also a great way to use up any leftover vegetables just sitting around your kitchen that you don’t want to go to waste. I almost wish I had leftover bell peppers because I would have thrown those in too!
To make this, I pre-heated my oven at 425 degrees F and tossed the veggies in a casserole dish with about a tablespoon of olive oil. I used a leftover sweet potato, about three cups of broccoli and a whole red onion, but you could also use brussels sprouts, bell peppers, zucchini, squash, asparagus, cauliflower…..I mean the possibilities are truly ENDLESS and you can totally make this recipe to your own liking! I kept things simple and just seasoned with salt and pepper, but feel free to go crazy and add a variety of different seasonings or herbs.
Once the veggies are done roasting you’ll want to take your casserole dish out of the oven, reduce the temp to about 375 degrees F and then top with your eggs. The easiest way I found to do this was to use a small ramekin (or you could use a cup) and one at a time crack the egg into the ramekin and then slide it onto the veggies. Repeat this for all 8 eggs then add the casserole back into the oven for about 5 minutes. This allows the eggs to set and then you can top with shredded cheese (I used Swiss, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand). Then finish off the cooking for an additional 10 minutes in the oven or until the eggs are cooked.
Then I just topped everything with some cracked black pepper, a pinch more of salt and it was ready to go! Like I said, the easiest breakfast ever and totally husband approved. Oh and I must say this was super filling too!
Truth be told I really wanted to name this “lazy girl casserole” because that’s how I definitely felt while making this haha. Aside from chopping a few veggies, there wasn’t much more to do except crack some eggs. I mean I made this on a Sunday and Sundays are meant to be lazy right? So there ya go. The perfect weekend breakfast (or dinner?!) for when you want to stay in your pajamas and do as little work as possible.
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 red onion, cut in wedges
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss together broccoli, sweet potatoes and red onion with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Transfer veggies to a baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, tossing veggies once halfway through.
- Remove baking dish from oven and reduce oven temp to 375 degrees F.
- Break an egg into a cup and slip egg on top of the veggies. Repeat with all 8 eggs and bake for 5 minutes. Top with shredded cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes until egg whites are set and yolks begin to thicken.
- Sprinkle with cracked pepper, serve and enjoy!