These super flavorful Spicy Chickpea Quinoa Bowls are gluten free, dairy free, vegan and perfect for your weekly meal prep! Easy to assemble and even easier to make!
All I have to say about this dish is one word….FLAVOR!!
I’ve actually had this spicy chickpea quinoa bowl recipe on the blog for a few years now, but I wanted to share some fresh new photos and show just how EASY these are to meal prep. This is literally one of my favorite go-to recipes and is perfect for weekly lunches because not only can you whip this up in 20 minutes, but it’s a great healthy option too! I seriously can’t stress enough the amount of flavor in these chickpeas…sautéed onion and garlic mixed with tomatoes, cumin and red pepper flakes all simmered together and topped with fresh cilantro. Let’s just say you definitely won’t mind the smell coming from your kitchen 😉
Are you hungry yet??
I like to serve the chickpeas over some cooked quinoa then just top with extra cilantro. Mmmm so good. I love cooking the quinoa in veggie or chicken broth because it really adds so much extra flavor, but if you don’t have any broth on hand you could of course just use water.
This recipe is great for meal prep because although it’s a meatless dish, it is extremely filling! The whole meal comes together really quickly because while the quinoa is cooking on the stove you can easily simmer the chickpeas. They’ll both be done in roughly the same amount (only 15 to 20 minutes!) and yup that’s it! If you’re not a fan of quinoa, feel free to use brown rice or throw the chickpeas over a salad which is another way I love to eat this 🙂 You really can’t go wrong.
I also want to note that these bowls reheat super well. Honestly, in my opinion, they actually taste better the next day after all the flavors have marinated together overnight. I love making lunches that are packed with good sources of protein and fiber. Another option is to simply throw the chickpeas on your dinner table for a delicious side dish or throw a fried egg on top and enjoy this bowl for breakfast! Like I said, this recipe is healthy, delicious and best of all, extremely easy to make 🙂
Happy Meatless Monday! Hope you all enjoy these spicy chickpea quinoa bowls!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes (or more if you like a lot of heat!)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Fresh cilantro, garnish (optional)
- To make quinoa, rinse and soak for about 10 minutes in warm water. Bring 2 cups of vegetable broth to a boil in a small saucepan, drain quinoa and add to boiling broth. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer, cooking for about 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off heat and allow quinoa to sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients (minus the cilantro), stirring to combine.
- Cover the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To assemble the bowls, place ½ cup quinoa in each bowl and top with a heaping ½ cup of the chickpea mixture. Top with a little cilantro and enjoy!