So I made a variation of this salad almost 2 years ago, but this is by FAR soo much better! I found this recipe in an older issue of Southern Living over the weekend and made it for our tailgate on Sunday. Ohh my gawd was it delicious, but I did make a few tweaks though to the original recipe. Instead of using an entire cup of mayo I chose to use only a half cup of mayo and substitute the rest with a half cup of non-fat plain yogurt.
Best. Decision. Ever.
Throw together some fresh broccoli, red grapes, turkey bacon and chopped pecans and you’ve got the perfect pasta salad for any occasion! This was specifically perfect for tailgating since it tastes best after being chilled not to mention its incredibly filling and has something for everyone!
So in other news, my poor sweet grandma was back in the hospital last week which is why I’ve been pretty absent. She’s finally back home now, but I’m planning on staying with her for awhile until she gets back on her feet. It’s so hard seeing someone you love so much grow older and older. She’s one of the strongest women I know though and I sure love her for it.Anyway, hope you like this pasta salad! It mixes my favorite flavors of summer with some great tastes of Fall all into one dish that I’m sure everyone will love.
- ½ (16 oz) box whole wheat farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
- 1 lb. fresh broccoli
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 packets Stevia
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups seedless red grapes
- 6 cooked turkey bacon slices, crumbled
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan for about 6 minutes until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Then prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cut broccoli florets from stems and separate into small pieces using a paring knife. In a large bowl, whisk together mayo, yogurt, Stevia, red onion, vinegar and salt and toss with broccoli, hot cooked pasta and grapes. Stir to coat.
- Cover and chill for up to 3 hours. Stir in bacon and toasted pecans just before serving, enjoy!