These Sun Dried Tomato & Artichoke Spaghetti Squash Boats are cheesy, delicious and make the perfect weeknight comfort meal that you can enjoy guilt-free! A special thanks to Reese Specialty Foods for sponsoring this post!
You guys, spaghetti squash is a total GAME CHANGER.
Not only is it a great low carb meal, but it makes a delicious swap for your favorite spaghetti because it pairs with just about everything! I was so excited that spaghetti squash was slowly coming back into season and I have been seeing them all over my local grocery stores so knew I had to stock up. I’m so glad I did because this recipe turned out incredible! Cheesy, flavorful and the perfect weeknight comfort meal that you can enjoy guilt-free!
To make this sauce, I started off by sautéing some garlic and sun dried tomatoes with a little olive oil. Then I threw in some Reese Hearts of Palm that I grated along with some delicious chopped Artichoke Hearts and boy did they both really elevate this whole dish! Hearts of Palm are super versatile and make a delicious addition to such a wide variety of dishes such as pizza, salads, main dishes like casseroles or can even be enjoyed all on their own! They are known as a delicacy around the world harvested from the inner core of certain palm trees so I loved incorporating them into these squash boats! Not only did they add such delicious texture and flavor, but they are a vegetable that is low in cholesterol, rich in potassium, contain Vitamin C and are non-GMO project verified, which make them a perfect staple to your kitchen.
After sautéing everything together, I made the sauce using chicken broth, a little half in half for some extra creaminess, then added shredded rotisserie chicken (or you could use any type of cooked chicken) and handfuls of baby spinach along with some Italian seasoning for extra flavor. WOW was this good! You can easily throw this sauce together while your spaghetti squash is baking in the oven so that everything can be ready all at once which makes this a really simple weeknight dish.
To get the spaghetti squash just right, simply cut the squash in half, scoop out all the seeds, bake them cut side down for about 40 to 45 minutes in the oven then just start scraping with a fork! You get perfect strands of “spaghetti” that you can just top with your sun dried tomato and artichoke sauce. Doesn’t get much easier than that! I also like to sprinkle a little shredded mozzarella cheese on top and throw them back into the oven so they can get nice and melty. Then just top with some fresh basil and dinner is served!
Also how convenient is it that Reese Hearts of Palm and Reese Artichoke Hearts come in a variety of ways making them easy to incorporate into your favorite dishes! You can find Hearts of Palm whole or in small medallions and the artichoke hearts either come small, quartered and even marinated!
If you want to know more about Reese Hearts of Palm as well as other delicious products from Reese Specialty Foods, head on over to their website here or you can easily find them at your local grocery store! You can also earn special rebates on a variety of Reese products so make sure to download the Ibotta app to take advantage of this great deal.
- 2 ripe spaghetti squash
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ cup Reese artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- To make the spaghetti squash, preheat oven to 400 degrees F and cut squash right down the middle. Scoop out all the seeds and place cut side down on a baking sheet lightly sprayed with oil. DO NOT PIERCE WITH A FORK!! Many recipes say to do this, but we are using these cuts of squash later as bowls so you want them to remain intact.
- Bake squash in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes (depending on the size of your squash) until tender.
- Meanwhile, drizzle oil into a large skillet and sauté garlic and sun dried tomatoes until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add artichoke hearts, sautéing for an additional minute, then add chicken broth, half and half, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt/pepper and shredded chicken. Bring everything to a boil then cover and allow flavors to simmer on low to medium heat until spaghetti squash is ready. Mix in spinach leaves about 5 minutes before topping spaghetti squash.
- Remove squash from the oven and scrape out all the strands of spaghetti using a fork.
- Divide chicken mixture evenly among the boats and sprinkle each with mozzarella cheese. Place them back in the oven for about 3 to 4 minutes until cheese is melted and squash is heated through.
- Top with basil, serve and enjoy!
This post is sponsored by Reese Specialty Foods. As always all opinions are 100% my own.