So I’ve been on a bit of a fruit craze these past few weeks. My fridge has literally been filled with fresh strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, peaches, kiwi, etc. You name it, I probably had it. Annnd I type this as I gorge myself on chopped up melon and honeydew. Obsessed.
I found this yummy gem in the pages of my Cooking Light magazine and just fell in love with the combination of fruit, basil and sweet orange vinaigrette. Not only does it make a beautiful presentation, but it is the perfect easy dish to serve for brunch when having people over!
Yes I love brunch. I mean not only do you get to make things that require butter and syrup, but you definitely get to sleep in as well. Seriously who wants to get up early on a Saturday? Yeah no one. And the best part is you get to cook for all your friends and actually have an excuse to drink cocktails before noon!
Brunch = best laziest decision ever.
And speaking of excuses to drink cocktails, I’m thinking I need to start sharing more of those recipes on le bloggy soo I should probably get started on experimenting and taste testing. Just saying. Totally for blog purposes, of course.
So back to this little dish, you know I never realized until after massacring about three peaches that I never actually learned how to cut them! #FoodBloggerProblems. I had attempted to display gorgeous peach slices on this platter, but alas they only came out mangled and slightly smushed. Sigh.
Lucky for me, smushy, mangled peaches still taste amazing.
Cheers to brunch and my unhealthy obsession with fruit!
Strawberries, Peaches, Basil & Orange Vinaigrette
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 or 3 packets Stevia
- 1 1/2 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Dash of salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 large peach, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Combine orange juice, sugar and champagne vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes until reduced to about a half cup. Whisk in olive oil and salt and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Combine blueberries, strawberries and peach slices in a large bowl. Add vinaigrette about 20 minutes before serving so that fruit is able to marinate. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups • Calories: 163 • Fat: 4.2 g • Carbs: 32.5 g • Fiber: 4.4 g • Protein: 2.1 g • WW Points+: 4 pts