Hello everyone, so here’s my first dish! Spicy cauliflower with lemon and garlic and it’s a great low carb choice too. You’ll love the bold flavors with the zest of the lemon and a bit of a kick using red pepper. I paired this side with chicken breasts, rosemary and olive oil bread and of course, my favorite wine! It’s a very light and fresh dish, only around 39 calories per serving (Weight Watchers friends that’s only 1 point!), so feel free to indulge all you want!
Spicy Cauliflower with Lemon and Garlic
Serves: 4 servings
- 4 cups cauliflower, about 1 small head, cut into florets
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ⅓ cup tomato, diced
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ⅛ tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- pinch saffron
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- 1½ cups hot water
- Clean and prepare the cauliflower by halving the head, removing the core and cutting the florets. Or you can use a bag of frozen cauliflower. Make sure they are cut into nice size pieces and are not too large.
- Preheat a large saute pan on medium heat and add the olive oil. Saute the onion for about 2 to 4 minutes until translucent.
- Add the tomato, ginger, crushed red pepper flakes, paprika, cumin and garlic, stir well and continue to cook for about 2 more minutes. Add the cauliflower, bay leaf and sliced lemon. Toss to coat with parsley and cilantro. Add turmeric, saffron and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the cauliflower to a platter. Reduce the liquid to thicken for sauce and spoon over cauliflower to serve.
Serving Size: 1 cup • Calories: 39 • Fat: 0 g • Carbs: 6 g • Fiber: 3.3 g • Protein: 2.1 g • WW Points+: 1 pt