Ok so I have to rant….did anyone else watch the Bachelorette last night?? Gah!!!
I’ll be honest, I was not as into it this year as I have been in past seasons, but from day ONE I love, love, LOVED Brooks! So yes last week I was quite on edge when he decided to just up and leave, but hey I respected the guy for being honest. Now I know you’re on a show, but most normal (non-desperate) women would be upset and slowly move on after the guy they professed to be in love with just broke up with them. Um, not get engaged to her second favorite guy a week later. Whoah.
Now Chris seems like a genuinely sweet guy, but I don’t know how I would honestly feel if my NOW fiance had just had a major meltdown over some guy that she claimed to be in love with breaking up with her just a few days prior! It just really made me feel like Des wanted to find love SO bad that all the things Chris was saying to her after Brooks broke up with her were “all the right things” and made her feel wanted again after being rejected. Does that mean you should get engaged?? Um probably not. If she were smart she’d choose to date him outside of the show, but that of course wouldn’t make good ratings and she wouldn’t have that 2 1/2 carat Neil Lane diamond on her pretty little finger.
That and I was sooo SURE Brooks was going to have a change of heart and come back before she chose Chris! Le sigh. He sure looked cute last night, huh?? All in all it was a good show and I AM truly happy for her and Chris, I think he’s a really great guy and they will live happily ever after in their poetry-filled world of marital bliss.
I dunno, I watch these shows because I’m a confessed reality-TV junkie, but I don’t know how it’s even possible to find TRUE love on a television show! You are obviously going on extravagant trips with gorgeous guys trying to win your affection so how could you NOT fall for those hunks in such circumstances, but to get engaged before the real world sets in seems a tad bit crazy to me. Not only are you going back to your day jobs and learning what it’s like to live with them 24/7 (that’s every relationship), but throw the paparazzi into the mix and watch as horrible headlines are plastered all over US Weekly and other countless magazines about you and your past that probably aren’t true – that, I would assume, could be rather straining on a semi-new relationship. So yes I sure feel for these people, but they know full well what they’re signing up for so thanks for the weekly entertainment!
Ok now onto burgers.
Summer barbeques are one of my favorite things about this time of year, but just because cookouts are synonymous with hot dogs, burgers and chunky potato salad doesn’t mean your next BBQ has to be loaded with all this fattening stuff! These quinoa burgers are hearty, full of veggies and made with all completely clean ingredients. They’re super easy to make and the patties can be made ahead of time, just wrap them in plastic wrap to keep right before cooking.
I personally like my burgers chunky because I enjoy tasting the kernels of corn and the crunch of the onion and peppers, but feel free to throw all of this into a food processor to save time and to incorporate your ingredients more – either way I guarantee it will taste amazing!! For more of a kick, feel free to add a dash a dash of cayenne pepper!
Hope you enjoy these southwest quinoa burgers! Serve them up on whole wheat buns or even use lettuce leaves if you’re watching your carb-intake. Throw some avocado slices, tomatos or a little Greek yogurt on top and you’ve got yourself a guilt-free burger to enjoy while everyone else is chowing down on grease and cheese! Don’t get me wrong, it really is okay to indulge every now and then, but these are THAT good so why splurge?? Serve this up with my summer veggie potato salad, some balsamic caprese skewers, all topped off with a skinny cocktail and you’ve got yourself a fabulous spread!
Southwest Quinoa Burgers
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup corn
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- To make quinoa, rinse and soak for about 10 minutes in warm water. Bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan, drain quinoa and add to the boiling water. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer, cooking for about 12 to 14 minutes. Turn heat off and allow quinoa to sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile while quinoa is cooking, saute onion, bell pepper and garlic with a bit of olive oil just until soft and pour into a large bowl. Add black beans and mash using a potato masher (or feel free to use a food processor) and mash/mix until a thick paste forms. Stir in jalapeno, corn, lime juice, egg, tomato paste, rolled oats, cumin, salt and pepper and mix until completely combined. Add in cooked quinoa, once cooled, and chopped cilantro. Cover and let mixture marinate in the fridge for about an hour.
- Once chilled, form quinoa mixture into 8 firm patties. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook patties about 6 to 8 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through. Serve on whole wheat buns or in lettuce wraps, enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 burger • Calories: 238 • Fat: 2.9 g • Carbs: 23.3 g • Fiber: 5.2 g • Protein: 7 g • WW Points+: 3 pts