So I haven’t made a casserole in awhile and this was a dish I’ve wanted to try for a long time. I found this recipe from Gina’s Skinny Recipes and thought it looked amazing, especially since I love chicken, broccoli and cheese together. This dish does NOT disappoint! I love how it calls for ingredients that are light and flavorful without all the fat a typical chicken divan recipe would have. This casserole serves 6 and is around 335 calories for a full serving with 12 grams of fat. Weight Watchers friends that’s 8 points plus (7 old points). It’s also packed full or protein and lots of fiber! Extremely filling. The boyfriend gobbled it all up and I think you will too!
Skinny Chicken Divan
Recipe adapted from Skinnytaste
Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1 1/2 lbs broccoli (3 large heads) chopped
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp. light butter
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. shallots, minced (onions would work too)
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1/4 cup white wine (or dry sherry)
- 6 oz. shredded reduced fat swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli and blanch for about 3 minutes. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Using a grill pan, saute chicken on medium-low heat on both sides until browned, and just about cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and transfer chicken to a cutting board. When cooled, slice chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Heat a medium skillet on medium heat. Add the butter and oil until melted and then add garlic and shallots (or onions). Sprinkle flour and whisk until smooth. Stir in broth, milk and wine (or sherry) and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in half of the swiss cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange broccoli in a casserole dish and pour half of the sauce over the broccoli. Arrange the chicken on top and cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle in remaining swiss cheese, grated parmesan cheese and top with bread crumbs. Spray a little oil on top.
- Bake 30 minutes, serve hot.
Serving Size: 1/6th • Calories: 335.7 • Fat: 12.3 g • Carbs: 19.8 g • Fiber: 4.1 g • Protein: 34.5 g • WW Points+: 8 pts