- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (or butter)
- 1 lb lean turkey sausage (or ground turkey or Italian sausage)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth (or
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup half and half (or heavy cream)
- 9 oz package cheese tortellini
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Garnish with grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley and fresh basil
To make in your Crock Pot:
- In a skillet on medium-high heat, brown and crumble the turkey sausage and transfer it to the bowl of your crock pot along with the rest of the ingredients, except for the half and half, tortellini and spinach (you’ll add these later).
- Cover and cook on low 7 to 8 hours, or on high 3 to 4 hours. About 30 minutes before serving, add in the half and half, tortellini and fresh spinach, and continue cooking. Serve with grated parmesan cheese and some fresh herbs.
To make in your Instant Pot:
- Press the SAUTE function on your Instant Pot and cook sausage with a little olive oil or butter. Once sausage is cooked and crumbled, add onion, carrots, and celery and sauté until onions are translucent, then add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Add seasonings, mixing well, then add chicken broth, diced tomatoes and beans. Secure the lid, making sure the vent is pushed up to SEALING, then select the PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL function and set the cooking time to 5 minutes. The Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come up to pressure and then the timer will begin.
- Once the 5 minutes is up, allow the the Instant Pot to naturally release steam for about 5 minutes then do a quick release of the remaining pressure, making sure to wear an oven mitt or have a towel to protect your hand from potential steam, and remove the lid.
- Select the SAUTE function and bring the soup to a boil. Add in the half and half, mixing until completely combined, then add the tortellini and spinach and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until the tortellini is tender and starts to float to the top. Serve with grated parmesan cheese and some fresh herbs.
To make on the Stovetop:
- Drizzle olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat and cook the sausage until brown and crumbled. Next add the onion, carrots and celery and sauté until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds, then add seasonings, mixing well. Pour in the chicken broth, diced tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the half and half, mixing until completely combined, then add the tortellini and spinach and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until tortellini is tender and starts to float to the top. Serve with grated parmesan cheese and some fresh herbs.
*This soup will last in your fridge in a sealed airtight container for up to 3 to 4 days, but is best enjoyed in the first few days.
- Serving Size: 1/8th of recipe
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 915.3 mg
- Fat: 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.5 g
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 22.8 g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.