The thing I liked most about this dish was that the sauce was nice and light and the chunks of tomato substituted for any thickness it was lacking. I sprinkled some of the leftover rub into the sauce along with some fresh basil as it was simmering. Feel free to substitute the chicken for shrimp, I’m sure that would taste amazing as well! Hope you all enjoy it as much as we did!
Penne & Chicken Tenderloins with Spiced Tomato Sauce
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 tsp. ground fennel seed
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. chicken breast tenderloins, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup white wine
- 8 oz. uncooked Dreamfields penne pasta
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl and rub over chicken. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes, turning once. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic; saute 30 seconds or until garlic is soft. Add tomatoes and wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add chicken, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Toss pasta with sauce in a large bowl. Sprinkle with cheese and fresh basil.
Serving Size: 1 cup • Calories: 223 • Fat: 3.6 g • Carbs: 28.5 g • Fiber: 3.3 g • Protein: 19.3 g • WW Points+: 6 pts