In the mood to indulge in a cheesy Mexican dish but don’t want the unnecessary calories?? These are perfect! Whether as a late night snack, yummy finger foods to bring to a party or just a simple dinner delight, these taquitos have it all except the calories! I got the idea for this recipe from my Hungry Girl cookbook and decided to make my own modifications. With two equaling a single serving at just 197 calories and 2.5 grams of fat, you are saving about 80 calories and 10 grams of fat from a typical serving of taquitos. That’s only 2 points per taquito! Sounds great, huh?! Well I’ll be honest, the fattening, cheese-infested tubes you find down your grocer’s freezer aisle do taste better than these homemade goodies, but I wonder why?? Making these will give you a fresher taste, a crunchy shell and a cheesy center that will beg you to grab more….and you won’t have to go on that extra run afterwards.
Guilt-Free Chicken Taquitos
Recipe adapted from Hungry Girl
Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 8 small (6-inch) yellow corn tortillas
- One 9.75-oz. (or 10-oz.) can 98% fat-free chunk white chicken breast in water, drained well
- 1/2 cup salsa, fresh salsa is best
- 1/3 cup shredded fat-free cheddar or mexican cheese
- 1 tsp. dry taco seasoning mix
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and salsa, and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove chicken mixture from the fridge, and drain any excess liquid. Add cheese and taco seasoning, and mix to combine. This is your filling, set aside.
- Prepare a baking sheet by spraying with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Dampen two paper towels, and place tortillas between them. Microwave for about 1 minute, until tortillas are warm and pliable.
- Take one tortilla (keep the rest between the paper towels), spray both sides lightly with non-stick spray, and lay it flat on a clean dry surface. Spoon about 2 heaping spoonfuls of filling onto the tortilla. Spread it evenly across the entire surface, and roll tortilla up tightly, so that you have a cigar-shaped tube.
- Secure with toothpicks and place seam-side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. Bake for 15 minutes, until crispy. Allow taquitos to cool for 5 minutes.
Serving Size: 2 taquitos • Calories: 197 • Fat: 2.5 g • Carbs: 22.5 g • Fiber: 3 g • Protein: 20.5 g • WW Points+: 5 pts