These turned out amazing! I was skeptical when I found this recipe on Gina’s Skinny Recipes since they are baked rather than fried, but we loved them! They took little to no effort and taste very similar to the Bloomin’ Onion at Outback…just without all the grease! We paired these with our leftovers from the short ribs made last night and enjoyed BBQ sandwiches. The only change I would make would be to use a smaller onion because I found if it is too large the rings are harder to coat with bread crumbs. They still turned out fantastic though! At just 74 calories and 0.6 grams of fat for half a batch of onion rings, they really are too good to be true! Make them for your next party and they are sure to be a hit!
Baked Onion Rings
Recipe adapted from Skinnytaste
Serves: 2 servings
- 1 medium onion, sliced into ¼ inch rings
- 2¼ cups low fat buttermilk
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Italian seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ cup crushed Corn Flake crumbs
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil baking spray
- Place slices of onion in a shallow dish. Pour the buttermilk over the top and let them soak for about 2 hours, refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Combine Panko, bread crumbs and Corn Flakes in a large dish, season with salt. Dip each soaked onion ring into the crumb mixture and coat well.
- Place rings onto two cookie sheets and lightly spray them with oil. Bake about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Serving Size: half • Calories: 74 • Fat: 0.6 g • Carbs: 14.7 g • Fiber: 1.6 g • Protein: 2.9 g • WW Points+: 2 pts