- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground turkey (you could also use ground chicken, pork or beef)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger (or 1/4 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Garnish: extra green onions and sesame seeds
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup beef broth (or water)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger (or 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red chili flakes (optional depending if you like a little heat)
To thicken sauce even more (optional):
- 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and green onions until all combined. Using a small cookie scoop, make 1-inch sized balls and place on a prepared baking sheet (you should get about 25-26 meatballs).
- Pop the meatballs in the oven and bake for about 13 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through.
- While the meatballs are baking in the oven, combine soy sauce, honey, beef broth, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and pepper in a small saucepan on the stove and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes to thicken up.
- If you feel like your sauce is too thin, mix 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1/2 tablespoon of water in a small bowl to make a slurry and pour that into the sauce to thicken it up even more. Mix in 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp crushed red chili flakes (depending on how much heat you like) and turn off the heat.
- Once the meatballs are done baking, transfer them to a large bowl (or you could keep them on the same pan) and coat them entirely with the sticky sauce.
- Spoon meatballs over fluffy brown rice, drizzling with extra sauce, and top with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
*Leftovers will last 3 to 4 days in the fridge or will freeze for 3 to 4 months.
- Serving Size: 4 meatballs
- Calories: 216
- Sugar: 12.5 g
- Sodium: 916.5 mg
- Fat: 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 18 g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.