- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- 1 medium to large eggplant, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup almond flour (or breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups marinara
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees F and slice the eggplant into 1/4-inch rounds. Lay the eggplant slices out onto paper towels and sprinkle liberally with salt. Let the eggplant sit for about 30 minutes then pat them dry with paper towels so soak up any excess water.
- Using two shallow bowls, add eggs to one (mixing them together) and in the other combine almond flour, grated parmesan cheese, flaxseed meal, and seasonings. Dip the eggplant slice in the egg until fully coated then dip in the almond flour mixture making sure both sides are coated. Repeat this until all your eggplant slices are coated in the almond flour “breading”.
- To crisp in the air fryer: Spray the basket of your air fryer with nonstick spray and place eggplant slices in an even layer in the basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to do this in a few batches. Air fry for 5 minutes, flip the slices over and air fry again for another 4 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- To crisp in the oven: Arrange eggplant slices on a baking sheet coated with nonstick spray and bake at 425 degrees F for about 25 minutes, flipping the slices halfway through.
- To make in a casserole dish, coat the bottom of the dish with about a 1/2 cup of marinara sauce and layer with eggplant slices. Top those slices with more marinara and mozzarella cheese, and then repeat with another layer of eggplant, marinara and mozzarella cheese. Place the casserole dish in the oven and turn the broiler on high and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, until cheese is melted and starts to brown. Make sure to watch closely so the cheese doesn’t burn (this is so you can serve the entire dish at the same time).
- To skip layering in a casserole dish, after flipping the eggplant slices in the air fryer after the first 5 minutes, top each slice with marinara sauce and then with mozzarella cheese and air fry for another 4 to 5 minutes, until cheese is melted. Repeat until all the eggplant slices have been cooked and enjoy!
*Eggplant parmesan will last in the fridge in a sealed, airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 4.9 g
- Sodium: 426 mg
- Fat: 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.2 g
- Fiber: 5.2 g
- Protein: 13 g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.