I’m soo sad summer is coming to an end! Football season has officially started, which is always a great thing, but the pools are about to close, the weather is constantly changing and I’ll have to pack away all my cute sundresses. So in honor of this departing season I wanted to make a fresh summer salad! I happened to have a ton of watermelon on hand and remembered I had clipped this delicious recipe out of my Cooking Light magazine.
This was crazy delicious and super simple! Using only 5 ingredients, this salad is high in fiber, low in fat and would be the perfect addition to your next cookout. Chances are you probably already have everything in your fridge and hey, at least now you can justify eating all those hot dogs and hamburgers.
Summer Pea, Watermelon and Farro Salad
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 cup uncooked farro or wheat berries
- 1 cup green peas
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 packet Stevia
- 1 cup cubed watermelon
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup shaved fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- Place farro in a large saucepan, and cover with water to 2 inches above farro. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 23 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
- Add green peas to pan with farro, and cook for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse farro mixture with cold water; drain.
- Combine farro mixture, ½ tsp. salt and Stevia in a large bowl. Add the watermelon cubes and 1 cup chopped parsley, and toss gently to combine. Top salad with Romano cheese and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 cup • Calories: 188 • Fat: 4.2 g • Carbs: 35.5 g • Fiber: 6 g • Protein: 10 g • WW Points+: 5 pts
Hope everyone is enjoying this fabulous weekend and let me know how you like this if you decide to give it a try!