Happy Friday y’all!
Sorry for the lack of posts this week, I’ve been completely out of commission with the flu and yikes it has NOT been fun. I’ve been living off chicken noodle soup, Nyquil and countless hours of binge-watching Netflix shows. Newest obsession? How to Get Away With Murder – Viola Davis is just so good! Needless to say though I’m over it and would much rather be back to my old self then stuck in bed feeling sorry for myself. Go figure this is the one week where we’ve finally had gorgeous Fall weather without a drop of rain. Oh well, hoping to feel better by this weekend!
Okay so back to FOOD…..let’s talk about kale, shall we? If you’ve read some of my past posts then you know my obsession with this stuff. It is just so healthy for you! On it’s own, kale can taste pretty bland and sometimes even bitter, which is why I like to play around with different ways to incorporate it into my diet. I’ve talked about the benefits of juicing kale, but even juicing extracts all that amazing fiber which is why sauteing is my next favorite method! I love this particular recipe because the kale cooks in with the onion and garlic, the quinoa, which is boiled in chicken broth instead of water (yes so good!), adds even more flavor and a delicious grainy texture, while the red pepper flakes add some spice and the bread crumbs add a nice crunch. Oh and I added CHEESE….because, why not?
Are you hungry yet??
My ultimate goal is to open your mind up to the different ways you can make kale because if you’re anything like me, then you probably struggled with finding ways to really enjoy it. I’ve made kale chips, roasted sweet potato and kale salad, and have even shown you how I like to use the pulp (aka FIBER) that is leftover from juicing kale and other veggies in delicious breakfast muffins! Well this recipe is one I would love to add to this list. This dish only takes a few minutes to make, is cooked all in one pan which makes clean-up such a breeze and it makes the perfect healthy side dish! Something else I like to do is toss the sauteed kale with chickpeas or even whole wheat pasta and enjoy everything as my main meal. Ohh the possibilities!
I’m really hoping to be feeling better by the end of the weekend so I can get back to LIFE again and actually clean my house, do some laundry and maybe even make a home cooked meal this week. I know…terrible. Hey I won’t lie, I tend to be a bit of a baby when I get sick and just want people to come take care of me, feed me hot soup and bask in all my miserable glory, sooo I’m sure my hubs wants me healthy again more than anyone! He is the ultimate trooper though and puts up with me so I think I’ll keep him 😉
Let me know how you like this recipe!
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 to 6 cups kale
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes (more or less to your liking)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- To make quinoa, rinse and soak for about 10 minutes in warm water. Bring 1 cup of chicken broth to a boil in a small saucepan and add drained quinoa to boiling broth. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer, cooking for about 15 minutes, or until broth is absorbed. Turn heat off and allow quinoa to sit for an additional 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork; set aside.
- In a large skillet, drizzle olive oil over medium heat and saute onion and garlic until fragrant. Add kale along with 2 tablespoons of water and cover, allowing the kale to steam for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until kale is tender.
- Remove lid and add 1 cup cooked quinoa, red pepper flakes and a pinch of sea salt, mixing well.
- Add Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs, cooking until cheese is melted, then serve immediately and enjoy!