Summer grilling is totally my jam guys and these mango sriracha chicken skewers are definitely a new favorite of mine! Not only are they the perfect balance of sweet and spicy, but the mango salsa adds an extra element of flavor (and color!) that I promise will be a huge hit at your next cookout!
As I said before, it’s no secret that I’m all about grilling in the summer months whether it’s throwing chicken, turkey burgers, steak, or even crisp veggies on the grill. The flavors are always amazing, the clean up is such a breeze and of course enjoying the weather outside with an ice cold beverage doesn’t hurt either. Being a food blogger and someone who really tries to cook every day, I feel like I literally live in my kitchen, so any chance I can get to break out my grill you know I’m going to go for it!
Now let’s talk about these skewers.
Skewers are always a fun way to serve up a typically boring chicken dish and you guys these are SO eeeeeasy. Seriously. The marinade for this recipe was inspired by my husband’s obsession with spicy sriracha mixed with my love for mangoes and all things sweet. To make the marinade, simply throw all the ingredients into a blender then pour it right over your chicken, super easy right?? Feel free to marinate this anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight – either way I think you’ll be super pleased with all the flavors! I mean we’ve got coconut milk, chopped mango, sriracha, lime juice, garlic, a little honey, cilantro….
Are you hungry yet??
I like to reserve a little extra marinade just to brush over the chicken while cooking on the grill just to keep it moist and flavorful. Oh and if you enjoy this marinade then you are definitely going to fall in love with this mango salsa! The great thing is the salsa is just as easy to throw together as the marinade! Oh and I am not ashamed AT ALL to admit that I could easily devour this entire thing in one sitting with a single spoon. Seriously ALL the heart eye emojis for this salsa!
If you like this recipe then you will love my Southwest Flank Steak with Peach Salsa or my Fish Tacos with Peach Mango Salsa. All these recipes just scream summer and I’m trying to soak up as much as I can before the fall months roll in! Now don’t get me wrong, I’m all about the leaves falling, pumpkin recipes and football season being in full swing, but there is just something about summer that consistently keeps me in a great mood.
Hope you all enjoy these mango sriracha chicken skewers as much as we did! They’re an easy healthy dinner option made with all fresh and clean ingredients. If you are making these for your kids, feel free to substitute the sriracha with sweet chili sauce and just omit the jalapenos from the salsa. I promise it will still taste just as delicious without all the spice!
And hey, this whole dish is hubby approved so how can you say no?!
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- For the Marinade:
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped mango
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp sriracha
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Handful fresh cilantro
- For the Salsa:
- 1½ cups mango, chopped
- ½ cup red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapenos, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp. lime zest
- Soak the skewers in cold water for about 20 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill and set aside.
- In a blender, combine all ingredients for the marinade up through the salt and pepper and blend until smooth. Add cilantro and pulse until roughly chopped (I prefer larger pieces of cilantro, but you could blend this altogether at once for finer pieces). Reserve about a cup of marinade to brush over the chicken when placed on the grill.
- Slice chicken into 1-inch cubes and pour marinade over top of chicken and let marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes to overnight.
- While the chicken is marinating, mix together all the ingredients for the salsa in a medium bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat, making sure to lightly spray with oil to avoid sticking.
- While grill is heating up, start threading your chicken onto the skewers (about 5 pieces each) and discard the marinade. Place the skewers on the grill, cooking the chicken about 2 to 3 minutes on each side and brushing with the reserved marinade until the chicken is cooked through.
- Top skewers with mango salsa, serve and enjoy!