This Healthy Turkey and Sweet Potato Hash is the perfect savory breakfast filled with delicious flavors like cumin, smoked paprika and chili powder making this dish a MUST!
Mmmm I just love a hearty breakfast. Not only is it a great way to start my morning, but it leaves me full and satisfied for much longer throughout the day so I’m not tempted to stuff my face with unhealthy crap during lunch because I’m starving……yes you know how those days go. Now I used to have a love // hate relationship with sweet potatoes – allow me to explain…
I grew up with my mom’s cooking which was (now don’t get me wrong) absolutely DELICIOUS, but unfortunately it lacked a lot of healthier elements. To this day one of my favorite recipes my mom makes are her creamy mashed potatoes and I just live for them during the holidays! We didn’t grow up with sweet potatoes and when we DID eat them, usually around Thanksgiving, they would be slathered with butter, brown sugar and marshmallows (sooooo freakin’ good), but absolutely terrible for you. That’s probably why we only had them once a year! Well it wasn’t until a few years ago when I stepped outside my comfort zone and started cooking a lot more that I realized there is SO much you can do with sweet potatoes! They don’t have to be associated with just sweet dishes, but are equally just as delicious in savory ones too.
This sweet potato hash has all the elements of a healthy breakfast that is high in fiber, low in fat and packed with tons of vitamins, but the great thing is this also makes the perfect dinner with a side of green veggies! And with flavors like cumin, smoked paprika and chili powder, how can you say no?? I also love that sweet potatoes are so versatile – I’ve tried them roasted, steamed, baked, pureed, and even grilled and each cooking technique gives them a whole new taste! I can’t wait to share with you all my recipe for sweet potato fries that took me over a year to perfect (because I’m that picky). Trust me these babies are sweet AND savory annnnnd I’ll be sharing them on the blog next week!
But until then, this hash is a must-try and hope you all love it as much as we did!
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb 99% fat-free ground turkey
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cut sweet potato into small cubes. Once water is boiling, add sweet potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened. Drain sweet potatoes in a colander and set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil in a large nonstick skillet and saute onion and garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until crumbled and brown; do not drain any excess liquid.
- Next add sweet potatoes, zucchini, bell pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder and sea salt, mixing well, and cook until potatoes are slightly caramelized and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Top with fresh parsley, serve and enjoy!