Okay you guys, what could seriously be better than chocolate chip cookies with delicious dark chocolate chips all sprinkled with a pinch sea salt?? Well a healthier version, duh!
These little cookies are such a great alternative to the classic chocolate chip cookie that we all know and love, but made without butter, refined sugar or white flour. Don’t worry though, there is no flavor sacrificed here! These cookies are still perfectly sweet and are made with healthy ingredients that we can feel good about eating. I mean I don’t know about you, but I am a total chocoholic and sometimes just desperately need a little sweet fix. These are perfect for satisfying my sweet tooth while still staying on track with my healthy diet. The only problem is, I usually can’t eat just one…..or two.
Growing up my Grandma would always keep a jar of cookies in her kitchen and I swear no matter how many I would eat they would somehow always magically get re-filled. I sure appreciated it then….maaaaybe not so much now haha, but I like to have the same thing in my house whenever my friends come over or their kids so healthier options like these cookies are a total must! Plus they just look so cute arranged in a cookie jar that I naturally have to keep making them.
I also totally don’t mind the whole house smelling like fresh baked cookies either. Baking is definitely one of those things I’ll admit I am not the best at, but I love coming up with healthier options for my favorite sweets. That way I can satisfy my cravings without feeling TOO guilty! These chocolate chip cookies are definitely a new favorite of mine and next time I might even add a little peanut butter for a different flavor.
This recipe yielded roughly 30 cookies for me and this was after scooping about 2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie, but feel free to make them as big or small as you like, just make sure to adjust the baking time. You may also notice that these cookies don’t bake as flat as what you might be used to, but that’s because they puff out more like muffins! And trust me that is NOT a bad thing. They are soft, somewhat cake-like on the inside yet still have a bit of crisp on the outside which, to me, makes them the perfect cookie.
I also want to note that these cookies are just slightly sweet with the addition of honey, vanilla and dark chocolate chips (I love them this way!), but if you wanted to make these even sweeter feel free to add a tablespoon or two of brown sugar to the mixture, although I highly suggest you try this recipe as-is first – I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised! If you DO make these cookies (which you totally should) please leave a comment letting me know how you like them and feel free to snap a pic hashtagging #eatyourselfskinnyrecipe on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with!
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 Tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking soda and sea salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixture or using electric beaters, mix together eggs, coconut oil, honey and vanilla until smooth then slowly add in flour mixture until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and scoop out a tablespoon each of dough balls onto the lined cookie sheet (you should get roughly 30 balls) and flatten them just a tad with your fingers.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until cookies have puffed up and have a nice golden coloring on the tops. Allow cookies to cool then enjoy!